Home > Uncategorized > Fixing “Could not load file or assembly ‘Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlParser’”

It’s incredibly frustrating that this still happens, but it turns out that if you have Visual Studio 2010 and SQL Server Express 2008 (or R2) on your machine, and you uninstall SQL Server Express 2008 and install SQL Server Express 2012 instead, you’ll get an error trying to load database projects in Visual Studio 2010: “Could not load file or assembly ‘Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlParser’”.

Why can’t SQL Server 2012 install the stuff it knows Visual Studio requires?  Fine, whatever.

The fix for this problem is the same as the last time I posted something like this:

1. Locate your Visual Studio 2010 installation media.
  2. In the \WCU\DAC folder, you’ll find three MSIs: DACFramework_enu.msi, DACProjectSystemSetup_enu.msi, and TSqlLanguageService_enu.msi. Run and install each of them. (Possibly just the third one is required in this case.  I’m not sure.)
  3. Reapply Visual Studio 2010 SP1.

You should be back to a working state.

About these ads
Categories: Uncategorized
  1. April 17, 2012 at 11:36 am

Ouch… gotta love those update uninstall and reinstall sessions! o_O

2. ncarthy
    October 4, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Thanks, I had this exact problem and I would never have been able to figure it out on my own.

3. Ricardo
    October 11, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Just happened to me and I was able to fix it just re installing the third one (TSqlLanguageService_enu.msi) Thank you very much!!!!! I am using SQL Server 2008 and VS 2010 BTW.

4. JA
    December 6, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Thanks, works great.

5. Makelele
    April 30, 2013 at 6:24 am

with VS2010 and SSMS2012 just using TSqlLanguageService_enu.msi has appeared to work for me as well. Thanks!

6. Seema