Home > Uncategorized > Fixing the error “Unable to launch the IIS Express Web server. Failed to register URL. Access is denied.”

I had a Visual Studio web project that was configured to use IIS Express on port 8080.  That should normally be fine and IIS Express is supposed to be able to run without administrator privileges, but when I would try to run the app I would get this error:

Unable to launch the IIS Express Web server.

Failed to register URL "http://localhost:8080/" for site "MySite" application "/". Error description: Access is denied. (0x80070005).

Launching Visual Studio with administrator credentials would cause it to be able to run the application successfully, but that kind of defeated the purpose of using IIS Express in the first place.

It turns out that the problem in my case was that something else had previously created a URL reservation for port http://localhost:8080/.  I have no idea what did it, but running this command in Powershell showed the culprit:

[C:\Users\Eric] 5/3/2012 2:39 PM
14> netsh http show urlacl | select-string "8080"

Reserved URL            : http://+:8080/

The solution was to run this command in an elevated shell:

[C:\Users\Eric] 5/3/2012 2:39 PM
2> netsh http delete urlacl

URL reservation successfully deleted

Now I can run my web app from VS without elevation.

About these ads
Categories: Uncategorized
  1. Gerhard Kupfer Greyvenstein
    September 20, 2013 at 3:27 am

Found another solution to this problem:
    1) Select web project->Properties
    2) Section Web, Sub-section Servers
    3) Make sure the NTLM Authentication checkbox is selected.

2. Pushpendra Singh
    June 4, 2014 at 3:54 am

if you are still facing the same problem the try to use this solution.
    Go to project >> Properties >> Web (tab). On Web tab you will see the choices from IIS Express 7/8 (if installed) and in Server Section Use Visual Studio Development Server

3. Pedro Cabrita
    July 23, 2014 at 7:59 am

4. August 30, 2014 at 3:22 am

Ilove what you guys tend to be up too. This sort of clever work and exposure!
    Keep up the very giod works guys I’ve added you guys to my own blogroll.

5. August 30, 2014 at 11:03 am

Its not my first time to pay a visit this website, i am visiting
    this site dailly and take nice facts from
    here every day.

6. August 31, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Oakley Sunglasses is amongst the planet’s large sun shades manufacturers in recent times.
    The put at any time the thing is photo voltaic,
    you will visit a Ray-Ban. No matter of providing comfort and ease and simplicity
    in addition to protection in the direction of your eye balls,
    all of the sunglasses glimpse actually classy and trendy.
    As getting the design will make sun shades of high-quality quality, it actually is not necessarily unusual that their sunglasses are not the cheapest
    you are likely to run into.Aspects about the Ray – Ban . It turned out released in 1937
    by simply an America agency branded Rayban. This kind of small business did somethings that should anticipated along with eye and even eyes security.
    They will wanted Raybans to make a nice pair of sunglasses in the National Military.
    Specifically the particular pilots simply since people previously had lots of challenges with the solar when hurtling.

A pilot previously had sought after to style the couple glasses which usually is going to
    be either operational in addition to classy.

7. August 31, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Thanks , I have recently been searching for info approximately
    this subject for a while and yours is the best I’ve found out
    so far. But, what about the conclusion? Are you positive concerning
    the supply?

8. September 2, 2014 at 2:05 am

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked
    submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that
    over again. Regardless, just wanted to say great blog!

1. No trackbacks yet.